These days we have so many options for cardio. If you go to the gym and you look in the cardio area you will see a variety of different machines that are designed to help us do cardio. Sometimes, it can be a little daunting picking which machine to use... The treadmill, the stair stepper, the elliptical, the AMT, the bike, the pool. When people ask me what form of cardio is the best to do, I always say whichever one you actually do! The most important part about cardio is just getting out there and doing it.
With all the different choices available for cardio I often see walking as a forgotten art. Walking is one of the most underestimated forms of cardio out there in my opinion. Here are some reasons why walking is a great option for cardio:
1. It is low impact and easy on the body for people that have injuries that keep them for running.
2. You can do it anywhere! Just throw on some shoes and head out the front door. Use a treadmill. Take a hike through nature! There are so many different places you can walk.
3. It is VERY effective at getting results. Many people have no idea how effective walking 45 min to an hour a day can be. While filming the documentary Unsupersize Me Tracy Ryan lost 100 pounds in the first 3 and a half months using walking as her main form of cardio.
4. Walking is something that overweight people can do without hurting themselves. It strengthens the legs while at the same time burning many calories at the same time.
5. It is easy to find a walking partner! With other forms of cardio like running there are not as many available partners out there. Most people can walk so you have many more options for company. I always encourage people to find a cardio partner because you are less likely to skip it if you have a partner!
I highly encourage all people just starting a routine to choose walking as their main form of cardio when starting up a workout routine. Try to keep a pace that makes you breath and challenges your legs. You will be surprised at how fast the pounds melt off you and how much better your mood is you have increased endorphins(our body’s natural pain killer) from doing cardio! So get out there and start walking today!